Monday, June 7, 2010

Obeying Sin...

So, I've been parked in Romans since yesterday- Romans 6:12 and Romans 6:16. Yesterday, in church at New Hope Pastor Paul wasn't there and Clint was teaching. He was in Romans and talking about sin having a foothold in the life of the believer and that we must believe that once we give our life to Jesus and surrender, sin won't have a hold on us and we have the ability to overcome any sin. And, the key is believing. That was the one thing that seemed a little unsettling to me since yesterday. Where is the HOW? Then, in my mind I keep replaying something I heard while listening to Pastor Jerry on a podcast this week from around Easter. Here's the quote; "We do not OBEY God because we do not TRUST God. We do not TRUST God because we do not KNOW God." WOW!!!! I LOVE Pastor Jerry's nuggets. I wish there was a book with all of them! Anyway, then read Romans 6:12- "Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you OBEY its lusts" And this is what is popping into my head- Are we locked in OBEDIENCE to our sin because we are TRUSTING our sin because we are KNOWING our sin MORE than we KNOW God?!?! Our sin has been there our whole life. Our sin is comfortable. Our sin is familiar. Where is God? How do we make God become more comfortable than our sin? I think the answer is in the Word. Pastor Jerry made a point about people trust what they see on TV because TV is trusted because it's something they know. So, what is reigning in my life? Is my TV in my life more than my Bible??? Insert whatever into that sentence. It's a pretty powerful thought. Am I letting something, anything become more familiar to me than God- which leads to trust - which leads to obedience. Would OBEDIENCE to God become far easier the more I TRUST in Him, the more I KNOW Him. So, where does KNOWLEDGE come from? His Word and prayer. The answer to overcoming sin for me becomes obvious; it's in His Word, prayer and finally surrendering DAILY to Him. It's KNOWING, building TRUST and finally OBEDIENCE. And after having this bounce around in my head a little, I read Romans 6:16; "Do you know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for OBEDIENCE, you are slaves of the one whom you OBEY, either of SIN resulting in DEATH, or of OBEDIENCE resulting in RIGHTEOUSNESS?" I know I want to be a slave to the one who brings Righteousness- not the one who brings Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment